Looking at how TV shows portray horses - 23/10/2022

Looking at how TV shows portray horses

Daisy Jackson / 23/10/2022

To generate ideas on the creation of my Joey and Topthorn characters, I decided to look at TV shows to see their own portrayal on horses.

Bojack Horseman:




I really love how the TV show Bojack Horseman captures the essence of a horse. Through the tiny details it speaks a lot. I can already tell by the way the art is presented that Bojack has gone through a lot. In most imagery I saw as well as in the TV show he appears as sad and miserable. Not saying Joey is like this but he has definitely gone through a lot which is something I want to present in my own work.

The Simpsons:





The Simpsons has quite a lot of different representations of horses. I feel like this depends on how they want the horse to come across - personality wise. Some of the horses come across 'dumb' in a sense while others capture what horses truly represent - confidence and independence etc. They appear quite majestic and even angry in a sense - as if you would not want to mess with them. The colour choices are also very simplistic and are supported by shadows to create depth. I love this simplicity as it fits with my intentions for my project and does not overcomplicate anything.

May I add - the horses in The Simpsons also appear quite humanistic which can be quite off putting. I feel this is due to the style resembling closely to how the artists draw the humans in the show. There is a large consistency within this.

Perhaps even with my T-shirt designs, I can create a solid coloured background which the actual main piece can sit on top of so there is a contrast in colour.

Adventure Time:





With Adventure Time there are so many different versions of a horse. Once again, I feel like this depends on how they want to portray the horse. The one where the horse is on a hill infront of the moon is so unlike a horse yet the audience still knows what it is. For me, I think this captures the essence of Topthorn which would be great. Like The Simpsons, simplistic colour choices which I am definitely intending for my own work.

Family Guy:






Family guy is definitely going to inspire Topthorn as I love the dumb appearance it captures of a horse. The way everything is shaped is so rounded and long which fits the appearance of a horse in it's own unique way. Even the eyes make me laugh as they fit well with the appearance. It makes you wonder what is going on in the horse's head.

American Dad:




American Dad has quite an angry appearance with their horses but also captures the scaryness they can sometimes give off. The horses appear nobal and majestic which I love. The eyes really communicate a lot within the appearance which I will take note of for my own design ideas.

Plan of action

I will use all these TV shows as inspiration for my own horse designs. This will provide me with ideas on how to represent Joey and Topthorn as well as knowing what I want to communicate.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packaging all of my cards and prints - 5/12/2022