Idea generation and thumbnails for designs - 26/10/2022

Idea generation and thumbnails for designs

Daisy Jackson / 26/10/2022

This week I really wanted to set asside time to create designs for my project. This way I would have weeks to go through trial and error of creating the final products. As well as this, I can design packaging and posters to assist this while knowing that the design process is out of the way. 

To begin idea generation, I decided to write a few ideas that I would then develop into thumbnails.

Here are my design ideas:


I do love a lot of these ideas and have already began to envision what they would look like in my head. I really love the idea of focusing on the relationship between Joey and Topthorn while also just focusing on Joey. 

An idea that I haven't wrote down but thought about after was creating a design based on the fact Joey was sold for £40. This delivers an important aspect of the story - horse auctioning and how much Joey was sold for.

I love the spin off of 'Peter the horse is here' which is a Family Guy reference - a lot of the younger generation as well as Family Guy fans will understand this. This is definitely a design I want to go far with. It also shows intertextuality which was a hidden challenge I set for myself.

The 'I wanna plough you like Joey did with the fields' is a personal favourite however, it goes agaisnt my target market group of 10 and above. It is not like I can change this either because after all, it is a Christmas market so I need to make sure it is child friendly. It is still a design I will experiment with but will modify to be child friendly. I want to keep this idea as much as possible as it delivers an important part of the story - Joey finally being able to plough the fields when the breed of horse he is stereotypically should not be able to do this.

The Trojan horse is a nice design that I could play around with. This once again shows itnertextuality? 

'That's my horse' is a common reoccuring saying that plays throughout the story which I would love to explore. This is once again another important part of Warhorse.

Warhorse on the beach is a fun little design I thought of when Matt was saying about setting the story wherever you want. 

Having Topthorn and Joey featured on a card would be quite cute as well as I believe this would be quite a romantic card. 'Will you be the Topthorn to my Joey?'.

After this, I created mini thumbnails to experiment with placement:


This has allowed me to envision the designs more and have a clearer understanding of what I want to create. I will create a series of designs which I will then decide whether to put onto T-shirts, tote bags, cards or prints. I will then work out how many of each I need.

I will more than likely spend another week on designs before creating the finished products. After this I will focus more on branding as I need to promote the Christmas fair as well as focus on my packaging. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packaging all of my cards and prints - 5/12/2022